Top 5 Foods That Stain Your Teeth
Dental hygienists spend a lot of time trying to remove food and drink stains from teeth. Here are the top 5 food and drink items that might be causing your smile to look a little dingy. Ironically, many of these foods are good for your overall health so we’ve included tips to avoid trashing your teeth.
- Wine: Red wine is the obvious stain maker but it turns out that white wine can discolor your teeth as well. Wine is highly acidic and softens the tooth enamel. Brushing your teeth immediately after drinking wine may cause even more damage by scratching the softened enamel layer. Rinse your mouth with water after drinking and brush after about 30 minutes to reduce damage.
- Coffee: Everyone knows that coffee stains your teeth but science has recently proven that our morning caffeine jolt has health benefits as well. Did you know that coffee is the number one source of antioxidants in the American diet? Enjoy your coffee, just remember to brush with a soft-bristle tooth brush after finishing breakfast.
- Sports Drinks: These drinks come in a rainbow of colors and the darker colors will stain more but the real problem is the acid and sugar in these drinks. Again, acid softens up the enamel allowing the tooth to stain and then the sugar feeds the bacteria that live in the mouth.
- Curry: Turmeric gives curry that wonderful yellow color and it does the same for your teeth. Combine that curry dish with leafy greens to help protect your smile and brush your teeth and tongue immediately after eating. Don’t avoid turmeric because it is thought to protect against certain cancers.
- Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants and good for you nutrients blueberries should be a part of everyone’s diet. The deep color makes these berries, along with blackberries and raspberries among the top stain makers so be sure you brush after eating.
Protect your smile by chewing sugarless gum containing xylitol after enjoying anything on our top 5 list. Chewing gum stimulates your saliva which will help wash away food particles and has been proven to help strengthen teeth.
Over time our teeth stain and our smile becomes dingy. Professional teeth whitening can give you back your white smile safely and comfortably. Stanley Dentistry offers several teeth whitening services in Cary, NC including Zoom!2™one hour whitening, KöR Whitening Deep Bleaching™ and Nite White®. Stanley Dentistry will work with you to choose which method is best for your smile and your goals. Your white, bright smile is just a phone call away. Call us today for more information!View All News