I already have a metal filling. Can I change it to a composite filling?

In the last few decades, dentists have exchanged the old method of using amalgam fillings (metal fillings) for more realistic composite, tooth-colored fillings. If you get a new filling, you’ll most likely get a composite filling but there are still millions of people who have old amalgam fillings.These fillings work fine but a lot of our patients find them unsightly. If they want, we can remove the old filling and place a tooth-colored filling instead. However, if the old filling is intact and in good condition, insurance will not cover a replacement. Replacing an amalgam filling for a composite filling is considered cosmetic.

See our most commonly asked questions
The Stanley Dentistry badge, which consists of three horizontal lines. The top line is flat, the second is slightly curved, and the third is more curved. This represents the journey to finding your smile!